Friday, July 19, 2013

Vegan is magic

781: 

My ongoing, never-ending pursuit of the omnivore-mind continues to be frustrated. I never seem to grasp what it is that eludes the non-vegan. There’s some barrier between my mind and the ‘meat-mind’; I have an instinct that it needs lifting, and that it might need a bit of magic, to help transfer what’s on one side of the barrier to the other side - to transform the feeling of being-vegan, from a mundane feeling into something special.
            I like to attach the word ‘special’ to the attraction of ‘being vegan’. But can I, or can you, ever succeed in projecting what it’s like to be vegan, to someone who hasn’t experienced it? Can what I say ever be picked up by non-vegans? And if it can, can it be seen as an ‘attraction’ by them? (And not as unattractive or even a threat?).

            Attraction: for me, the magic is within the attraction. It lifts me up and puts me down into another world. Vegans are in another world in so many ways, by virtue of lifestyle. That ‘other world’ has a different frequency, an almost magical quality, just because we’ve come to look at food differently. Suddenly, things become attractive that weren’t before. Food takes on some greater significance than being just a sensation or an energy source or a stomach-filler. It’s a combination of responsibility mixed with pleasure. Guilt-free food is quite different from the indulgence in something not-quite-right. A plant-based diet drives so many of our daily activities, like food-shopping, like food-preparing and cooking food. To me, nothing is as important as the fact that my food is ‘harm-free’. That seems to me to be all the magic I need, to transform mine or anyone else’s life from a sort of nervous pleasure into a confident appreciation.

No comments: