Monday, July 8, 2013

Don’t shoot the messenger


770:

It’s convenient to use the ‘I’ and ‘you’ form here, but it doesn’t mean, if you’re reading this, that I’m assuming anything about you personally, that you’re not vegan.
            I know that when I talk about animals having rights (the right not to be used by humans), that if you still use animal-based foods, then you possibly feel some guilt about that, by supporting the Animal Industry. That makes you feel uncomfortable. It might even make you feel hostile to the messenger.
            So, when I’m talking to you, even about something unrelated to ‘animals’, you’re afraid I might go there. And, as an opportunity opens, I do start to work out how I’m going to get there, but at the same time I’d be wanting to work out an escape clause for you. The one thing I don’t want hanging over our heads is guilt, which seriously gets in the way of communication. I want to stem your guilt factor. Because you know I know.
            I’m not comfortable about mentioning the fact that you are poisoning yourself and hurting animals too. That’s all the vegan message is. So simple and yet so insulting. So, my question is this: how can what I need to say be said without causing offence? Big cash prize for the right answer.

No comments: