Monday, July 22, 2013

The Hit-Out

784 

As a vegan, I focus my attention both on myself and ‘the other’ - that’s surely the idea of being vegan, being passionate and concerned for ‘food’ animals. But in other people’s perception my passion reeks of zealotry.
            All too often I can only succeed in making zero impact on omnivores. They can’t trust me (perhaps any vegan, come to that) and worse, they don’t like me (perhaps any of us), and that helps justify their disliking of what we say. It fits neatly into maintaining the status quo - the traditional attitude.
            Vegans no longer follow the ‘eat-what-you-like habit. We don’t indulge in the luxury of easy choices. Instead, we set a difficult example. We can’t afford to be seen as hobby-advocates. And particularly, we can’t have any double standards. If veganism is about nothing else, it’s about that.
            But if this sort of exemplary behaviour is difficult to keep up, it’s not because of restriction-of-food choices but the constant seething feelings we have, about animal cruelty. Almost 100% of people in our community don’t seethe, certainly not enough to boycott animal products. They are able to turn a blind eye. And if we bring anything to their attention they can also turn a deaf ear.
When I sound off about ‘cruelty to farm animals’ I’m ignored, they thinking, no doubt, “Here he goes again, on about the same old thing”.
            With this level of predictability, I have to be in control of what I say - I need to be able to get close-in with people by being professional, civil and affectionate, and not showing too much emotion. I don’t want to let my face or body language reveal too much passion, so that I’m not just being identified by that. If I want to get people to sit up and listen I won’t do it by annoying them. Instead, I’d rather let them know that I’m on their side, as well as the animals’. I want them to see that I appreciate their difficulty of ‘not being there yet with ‘this-animal-thing’. I don’t mean getting ‘pally with the enemy’, I merely mean to oil the communication-machine.
We have a long way to go, for many decades to come; at this early stage, vegans need to be establishing a good example as people-worth-knowing, and set some good communication standards. 
            Our cause, our fight, our arguments, our trying-to-grab-attention, whatever we identify ourselves with most strongly, as much as it feels right to us, we have to remember that anything truly right can also be open to misinterpretation.
            Do we, as the father asks his pregnant daughter of the boy in question, have good intentions? If so, that is what we must project by way of a ‘most convincing approach’. If I’m looking for a fight, to show off my superior values and knowledge, if I want to stir you into disagreement, if I just want to be right and hit out, it might be understandable. But it’s not productive and does no service to the animals on whose behalf we are surely trying to advocate.


No comments: