Saturday, July 13, 2013

Conduits for better understanding

775:

The main job of an animal rights advocate is to impart some bare facts, but package them in such a way that they respect the person we’re talking to, so there’s more chance they’ll take what we say on board. I’d like to think that anything I say to anyone about these matters can be taken away and thought about in the privacy of their own place and in their own time. No one likes to be hurried or hassled over important new ideas. I know, for my part, that I’m suspicious of anyone who seems to be talking from a point of authority and especially if they try to get me to sign on the dotted line as well.

            Vegans only need to inform or answer questions, but without any trace in the voice of disrespect. We might be at different levels of understanding of the issues involved, but no need for any authoritarianism. We just need to be clear about what we are doing (communicating), clearly spoken (or written), and clear of any atmosphere which smacks of judgement. It helps by having a quietened-down face and with the shrill tones kept out of our voice. 

No comments: