Sunday, July 28, 2013

Impossible odds

789: 

If we find it hard to make an impression on reluctant meat-eaters, then how can we impress? For starters, everything we believe in must be reflected in our own daily lifestyle, otherwise we’ll be seen as false. No one likes a hypocrite. And no one respects a person with a nasty side, who is aggressive or attacking. What counts most in our favour is that we show that we’ve researched our subject and are confident in our views. If anyone shows interest, they won’t listen unless we seem to have looked deeply at the issues and that we are likeable to them, as people.
The personal example illustrates the point – we represent ourselves as ordinary, acceptable people, who one might possibly want to know. We also represent a cause, which is why we need to be doubly aware of how we present; each of us represents others who live by the same principles, so we’re responsible (to others connected to the cause) for how we come across. If I show a nasty side to my nature that will be remembered and taint the character of other vegans, simply because they are “probably like him”.
For instance, my being homosexual lets me support the aspirations of fellow gays; I want to come across as an acceptable advocate for gay rights … but that doesn’t mean I have to approve of all gay people just because they share the same sexual preference. Some gays are completely acceptable, others are just ‘nasty queens’. And likewise, my being vegan lets me support vegan principle, but I don’t have to like the righteous or aggressive vegans just because they eat the same sort of food as me. It’s because of them that I try to counter the image of that sort of vegan, so that the overall message isn’t muddied.
It’s likely no one emulates another person’s behaviour if they aren’t likeable. For a cause such as ours, it isn’t hard for me to let myself (and others) down. Some of us, who are still dealing with our ‘aggro agendas’, serve the Rights Movement poorly. Perhaps, we use it for our own ends, whatever they may be.
The big problem with those of us who have a ‘hard side’, is that we forget to keep it under control. Discussing Animal Rights is tricky because there are so many issues to learn about and talk about. And if I find myself on dodgy ground I’ve noticed that I sometimes don’t back away when I know I should, just because I don’t know how to answer the point being made; I’ve noticed myself (and others) forcing an argument just to save face, by falling back on making a moral judgement of anyone who doesn’t agree with me.

When I do that, it means I’ve no real interest in being open or helping to increase understanding or being friendly. When I do that, it shows. When people walk away, and I get upset, I should know this happened simply because I showed my ‘nasty’ side. 

No comments: