Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Over-stepping the mark

779: 

What mostly keeps vegans and omnivores apart is that one side knows what the other doesn’t. The omnivore knows there’s no other way of living than by using animals. Vegans just don’t understand this. So it figures that, to the omnivore, any information about not eating food-animals and adopting vegan diets makes little sense and will be pushed away. It isn’t that people want to perpetuate cruelty to animals but that is the unfortunate part of reality which “just has to be”. Pragmatism. And, like an irritating fly buzzing around one’s head, vegans are irritating. No one likes a bible-basher who is pushing unwelcome information. As free-willed adults, living in Western democracies, people don’t like being told what to do, especially what to eat.
I find myself being a bit of ‘basher’ - “You have to hear what I’ve got to say, for your own safety”. Omnivores question my authority to say this and reply, “You have no right to push me on that point”. They think I’m  trying to lead them into deep, chilly and dangerous waters. 
That’s not the way I see things. There is so obviously another way of living, without any use of animals. Omnivores just don’t understand this. So I figure I can make sense by arguing my point. I’m careful though. I can corner someone (whilst staying just inside the boundary of acceptable pushiness), thinking to do some good for the animals. But what a risk! gambling on the chance of a sensible, low-key discussion of the issues, tempted to gamble on a lucky strike. I’m so used to having my views put down or ignored that ‘pushing a point’ seems the only way sometimes. And for me, doing that feels good. It feels courageous. It’s satisfying to tell an ‘insensitive omnivore’ what I think of their arguments. I say to myself that I owe it to the animals, to enlighten the omnivore. And with that in mind I will go in boots and all. But perhaps I should wise up. I already have enough problems of communication without provoking people.
The omnivore doesn’t need to convert us. They have enough people on-side without worrying about a few crazy vegans. Vegans, however, do need to get as much support as they can, since we are still so few. But perhaps more importantly, we are concerned for non-vegans who have no idea how much danger they put themselves in. I need to turn around my own attitude to them, from confrontation to having sympathy and compassion for them, for the tight spot all omnivores are in. They are possibly very reluctant to change their lifestyle and diet but aren’t necessarily comfortable, as I’m not, with the cruelty of animal farming.
My view is that I need to stop being ‘insistent’. Even though it’s a significant issue for me (as it is, of course, for the animals themselves), it isn’t an issue for most others, who believe that animals are here for us to use. Human beliefs are as change-proof as reality itself - things are as we believe them to be, and many believe life without hamburgers is no life at all.
To carry someone across, from their belief to our own, is a big challenge. It’s likely that people are aware of what they are doing, but their need for their favourite foods is uppermost in their minds. I’m sure most people these days are well aware of the poor effect animal products have on one’s health, not to mention the effect on a sensitive conscience, over what’s being done to animals. But those favourite foods! Changing to a vegan diet for the sake of one’s self-esteem might seem a high price to pay (and in fact most omnivores have never seriously considered vegan principle). 
I know that even if they tried a vegan diet that they wouldn’t stay vegan for long if they’re still hankering for something that’s ‘off the list’. That has to be turned around if they are ever able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. There has to be a greater goal they’d be aiming for, which goes beyond taste bud satisfaction and a lack of interest in animal welfare. It has to have the promise of a less haunted future.



No comments: