Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Vegan facilitator

766: 

Vegans want to know how they’re seen by others, and want non-vegans to see them in a non-judgemental way. And we are always trying to get a fair hearing ... and it’s never granted! So, we resort to the blog to say things lie this: ‘Vegan’ isn’t just about food. And it isn’t just about animals. It’s setting standards of attitude, high standards. The first and most obvious lead vegans have taken is over food and clothing, but I hope we lead with equally high standards when we talk, as in ‘initiate debate on ‘animal-use’’.
Acting with high standards is one thing, keeping them up is another. Keeping standards consistent too. But standards are supposed to flow from within and colour our actions. It’s reverse-engineering discovering ‘new reasons’ to be good. I’d rather be with a liar and a cheat and a thief than be deceived by a show of goodness which turns out to mix with a few low standards in other areas. It’s safer to feel part of a big mix with no temptation to judge values, if only to avoid the much greater danger of feeling superior.
When we look at attitude, we have to look honestly at this superiority thing. If I consider myself better than others, because I’ve made a particular stand and they haven’t, I’m in trouble. Unless I’m deliberately hiding it, it will show. It shows in the pride when we tell someone something good about ourself. “We’re helping to save the whales”, or “a forest”. That information is harmless enough. Unless we look superior, or bragging - by taking that delicacy into account we can pass across information but may need to neutralise its impact by and offhand remark which takes the pressure out of the atmosphere. If we boast we look foolish. And vegans surely want to look wise!
The notion of ‘superiority’ is best kept out of our thinking. But how can we keep thoughts like this at bay? Especially when we say to ourselves, “What I think is private, so no one will know”. It cuts both ways, people approving of me for the stand I’ve taken or people disapproving of me for the stand I’ve taken. Perhaps there’s a happy ending to this. We train ourselves not to need or cultivate approval. If someone is fishing for compliments it’s like vegans mentioning their vegan diet. It could bring us insults but more likely it will bring a compliment, “Oh, I don’t know how you can do it”.
What shows most, observing the subtle interplays, during a conversation. Unaware of your own familar give-away signs, we are much more easily seen-through than we think. The trouble is, we’re so busy trying to ‘see-through’ other people that we neglect to cover our own tracks, in that regard.
competitive. No me versus you situations.
I only ever want closer contact, with sympathy and empathy specifically enabling people to take ‘animal-issues’ seriously. I want the contact to facilitate discussion. I’m not interested in converting people.


No comments: