Saturday, July 6, 2013

Be your own judge and jury.

768: 

It’s not the first time I’ve mentioned this subject, with people I know. It’s not the first time I’ve used emotional blackmail to get them to listen. You have the right to stop me speaking. To make up your own mind in your own time.
            But not everyone is so obviously resistant. Not everyone I blackmail. I don’t need to. But just because you seem willing to listen doesn’t mean I’m really getting through to you. Your main aim is to stop me speaking, because it’s always going to be uncomfortable to hear what I have to say. But you are subtle. If you can’t accuse me of being pushy or rude, then you’ll need better justification to stop me speaking.
            I seem reasonable enough. And, in truth, the subject isn’t totally ridiculous to you. You let me speak. What I say about animals, you sort of agree with but you can’t afford to encourage me. On the one hand, you respect my values, you aren’t trying to belittle my beliefs. You show that by listening. But here’s the trap you set for me, to stop me.
            I mistake your permission-to-speak for actual interest. Conveniently, I forget that I’m a walking, talking insulter; whatever I say will always imply criticism for what YOU do which I don’t do. Whatever I say is tinged with moral judgement. You’ve said, “Go-ahead”, and I’ve foolishly thought you wanted to hear more. I’m the eternal optimist - I’ve seen what I wanted to see, namely your readiness to be converted to veganism.
            When the penny drops and I realise you were just trying to humour me, I know I’ve gone too far and said too much, and need to retreat. But here’s my point. Vegans should go back to first principles. Not just with more talk of food and diet and animal cruelty and unhealthy lifestyles but to look carefully at equality, between humans and animals. One sort of respect for the sovereignty of animals, another sort of respect for the fellow human, for where they’re at. Perhaps I shouldn’t try to seduce your interest. It only makes you search for something to defend yourself with, or make a comment to knock me out. It isn’t a very real situation for either of us, because you think I’m after converts and I’m not. I only want you to think for yourself.


No comments: