Monday, March 9, 2015

Optimism

1301:

In order for my own altruism to work, I need optimism, so that I can say, “So what if all this damage has been done, it can be fixed”.  Optimism ‘ups’ the energy, which in turn ups my own chances of moving on - if I feel as though I’m heading towards something worth reaching, it won’t be because it’s right but because it’s the most meaningful thing I could be doing for myself.  My optimism kicks in to suggest that my moving-on will be ultimately satisfying.  

‘Satisfaction’ and ‘meaning’ are the big drivers.  As soon as I think I’m making a difference (in this case, that no animals are going to be killed on my behalf) I've taken a compassionate step in the right direction.  And if that makes me happier about myself, it motivates me to go on to help others take the same step.  But the reason I'd want to do that is because the general consensus needs tweaking, so that the majority view comes closer to wanting animals to be liberated.

Once I can clean up my own act at home (establish a vegan kitchen for a start) I can turn my attention to others.  But not to become the evangelist.  How ridiculous would that be?  Climbing the pulpit, telling others what sinners they are and how I’ve seen the light, etc?  That makes me a great figure of fun, and exactly what others might WANT to see me as.  Instead, it is for the optimist to suggest realistic and practical ways to move towards a future that's attractive and sustainable.  It's easy enough to ignore an evangelist, but far harder to ignore someone with some interesting, if challenging, life-recipes.  It's difficult not to like someone who is likeable, even if you aren't in complete agreement with them.

So the aim is to be direct, to be self-effacing, but to be clear about where one is coming from.  Out of that comes the confidence to communicate (naturally, to talk about animals, food, abattoirs, etc.) and share information, in order to help build a strong support base for animal liberation.  But it is to colour it with a balance of passion and compassion.  I know it's not enough to simply pass on information, since everyone today is saturated with information.  And there’s so much misinformation in circulation too.  If I have anything sensible to say, then my ideas should be based on facts which are informed and truthful but which can easily be checked.


No comments: