Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Changing our personal habits

1297: 

Anyone who instinctively sees the urgent need to do something about the way we treat food-animals is going to have to ignore what they’ve previously been taught about food - they’ll have to go against their own tastebud-advice, against the advice of corporations, governments and educators, simply because almost all of them are likely to be enthusiastic animal-abusers themselves .

The issue of using animals in the food and clothing industries sits like a lead weight on our collective conscience - what we do to animals makes monsters of us.  I’m ashamed of what I didn’t do, for so many years.  We should all be ashamed of the way animals are slaughtered, or the way hens are imprisoned in tiny cages and the way we always pretend not to notice.

The more I learned, the more ashamed I became, especially when I kept eating the same breakfast, day after day, having already discovered what it cost certain animals.  I'd already found out about newborn calves being snatched away from their mothers (and shot soon after they’re born) to allow people like me to have cow’s milk on our corn flakes.  I’d already found out about sow stall restraints.  I’d found out about cattle being mutilated plus a whole list of other horrors.  And still I continued to eat my bacon and eggs and burgers and lamb roasts.  Each of the horrors the animals underwent, I'd learned about, and I knew it reflected badly on the farmers and food producers. But I was reluctant to take any of the blame, as a consumer, for giving them my vote by buying their animal produce. I’m only glad that the second half of my life has been spent trying to undo all those years of complicity.
         
Now all this might apply to you too.  There are still so many of us who have been or still are involved in supporting the animal industries, whilst we still pretend it doesn’t matter.  We can choose to ignore it all, and no one will notice.  We’ll never have to talk about it or be obliged to address it on any level, since almost everyone else is involved at a similar level of complicity. 

So, this is where we’re stuck.  My taste buds are much the same as yours.  We respond similarly to our favourite foods.  But, now that I’ve learnt more about what is going on, these ‘horror foods’ weigh more heavily on my conscience.  There’s a sort of numbness that comes over me when I try to think how sentient animals are suffering, just so that I can enjoy my meat or my treats.  The fact that animals (kept alive only to be eaten) are presently living in terror, and dying in the most ugly ways imaginable, should be enough for any of us to act.  But alas, we speak the words but don’t walk the talk.  We say “it’s outrageous”, but we still allow it to happen by allowing our own consumer habits to continue.  By way of some nifty mental gymnastics, we’re still able to relax around the dinner table and eat what's served up.  We keep our minds closed and our mouths open.  It’s what we're used to doing, and will continue to do, until we say, “No longer!”

Perhaps then, we do consider change. But, when cold hard reality hits, even if we feel outraged, we don’t reckon we'll have enough willpower to alter our eating habits so radically as to stop eating ALL animal-based foods, on principle.  It’s as if there is no argument powerful enough to convince us to stop.  Neither ill health nor guilty conscience can stop our 'habit'.  Neither will we avoid these products because of any concern about the environmental impact of animal farming.

But if we do make the decision to ‘go-vegan’, only then will we find we’ve made the best decision of our life.  It will be the best thing we could have done for ourselves.  By withdrawing our support from the Animal Industries and freeing ourselves from the addictive grip of their products, we are doing a major repair job on ourselves. And simultaneously, we are helping to liberate the enslaved, 'domesticated' animals.

But this habit-switching is no light matter.  If we give up eating meat one day, the next day we’ll be questioning the whole ethical basis of animal farming and nutrition!  So what starts out as just a change of diet, now opens up many other significant changes of attitude.

In my own case, I saw the advantages of a plant based diet but was fearful of taking the first step.  The idea was exciting enough in theory but in practice it looked scary.  But as it turned out, going vegan was almost like falling in love!  The idea of no longer ‘making use of animals’ was so empowering that I found it easily set against the personal doubt about having enough commitment.

So, to lay it on the line, I made a list of everything I could think of, to explain to myself exactly what vegan principle meant to me.  It would mean avoiding thousands of products which I was accustomed to using.  And I knew that all this avoiding and boycotting would mean me having to face up to doing-without, when the replacement-product wasn’t available.


That is what it came down to.  'Doing-without' was going to be the hard part; learning to not give in to temptation; facing that particular difficulty as well as the opprobrium of becoming a social misfit.  But all the time, the one thing that I kept coming back to - my discomfort in all this was nothing compared to the privations farm animals suffer.  Compared to theirs, any ‘lifestyle difficulty’ I might experience would pale into insignificance, and would always be hardly worth a mention. 

No comments: