Monday, March 3, 2014

The communication game

982: 
      
Once I can clean up my own act at home (establish a vegan kitchen for example) it’s a good start.  Then I can see what I look like.  I consult the mirror.  Ah yes, what a fine image I present - a complaisant vegan, ready to climb into the pulpit and tell everyone I meet what sinners they are.  I can preach about how I’ve seen the light, etc?  What a great figure of fun I’d be, if I tried that stunt.

If I want to be taken at all seriously, any hint of that must vanish.  Being the pontificator is exactly what others WANT to see, since that makes me look like an old-time evangelist.  It’s much harder to ignore someone you like and respect.  So, there’s a balance to strike here.  My aim is to be likeable and yet direct, self-effacing yet clear about where I’m coming from.  If I get that balance right it will show in the confidence I feel when attempting to communicate – naturally I’ll want to talk about animals, food, abattoirs, as well as dreams for the future and my fears concerning the present.  Naturally I’ll want to share what I know with anyone who’ll listen.  And you’ll guess that ultimately I’m aiming at helping to build a strong support base for animal liberation.

I should want you to see through me and for you to find nothing too cheesy.  I’d want you to sense my attempt to balance passion with outrage with compassion.


For me, it isn’t enough to simply pass on information.  A hell-fire preacher can do that easily enough.  Today, we have to recognise that the punter is more sophisticated and discerning.  We’ve all been bombarded with information and misinformation.  You can’t blame people for being cynical and suspicious.  Perhaps simple and transparent is safest - if I have anything serious to say, my ideas should be based on facts that can be referenced.  But in the end it’s an emotional exchange, the ideas are simple and fairly black and white, requiring a simple agreement or disagreement.  As presenters of our argument, the most important thing is that we must try to be likeable people.

No comments: