Saturday, March 1, 2014

Leading fashion not following it


980: 

Take a bold step, go solo.  Forget what others say, the omnivores, I think it would be great if you came along, but if you don’t, I won’t feel badly about you.  I’ve put it that way because it’s a theme I’d like to develop.

Going vegan: this is the hardest attitude to take up.  If I can act solo it’s not just because I’m more highly principled but because I enjoy the process of change, doing things that make sense, fixing broken things, observing the non-violent principle.  The whole world is riddled with violence, war, hunger, meat-eating, abattoirs, and it can all be repaired. Preferably painlessly.

If I can make my own repair process satisfying, I’ll be more inclined to keep going with it, because I won’t regard it as hard or painful work. I won’t have to scratch around for motivation or approval or encouragement from others.  I won’t be referring to what I see others doing.


By making practical repair work fulfilling, changes become less painful, and we can actually enjoy the ‘work’ of it all.  Obviously there’s got to be a BIG reason to make big changes, and when it comes to being vegan or being an animal activist, it will almost certainly derive from a heightened sense of altruism that turns into an empathising with ‘the other’.  By deciding to become vegan, no longer using meat and products taken from animals’ bodies, we improve our health and energy, but the biggest bonus is that we are part of a noble rescue mission; we’re helping to get animals off death row.  To achieve that, to be even the tiniest part of the eventual liberation of animals, has to be ultimately satisfying.

No comments: