Friday, March 28, 2014

Idealism goes a long way too

1006: 

My main aim is to get people to listen.  But why would they?  Perhaps because I have something attractive to offer, and they’ll get something useful from me.

I need to give them new information about a subject not often discussed or about things they don’t normally hear about.  Interest flows from there.  I might point out some of the hidden truths of animal farming but I will also mention the importance of animal rights - including all the benefits it can bring to us - and paint a picture of the future, and show how I think we can get there.

I think it’s important to point out that we are not only interested in animals but a much broader prospect that involves human life at every level.  I’ll speculate about how I think people could turn out, and even be passionate about it (otherwise I won’t convince anyone that I really can see a different world ahead).
           
You can guess something of this future world – it would be a world WITHOUT a slave trade in animals, without abattoirs or animal farms.  We wouldn’t see animals as food but as sovereign beings in their own right.  Because the prospect of such a world is so difficult to visualise, my job must be to convince you that it isn’t unattainable.


If this world is to seem at all realistic, firstly my ideal must appeal to you, so that it can also become your ideal.  It’s likely that what we have in common is that this new world will be more altruistic than the one we know at present, but that it will feel normal and natural to be altruistic.  And if that ideal is reached, that we’d see ourselves as being more mature human beings, walking more worthily on earth and breathing more easily. Who wouldn’t be drawn to the prospect of such a world?

No comments: