Friday, March 14, 2014

Being too judgemental for my own good

993: 

When we are discussing things, you and I, how much do I value good feeling between us?  Do I try to defuse things when I sense things getting out of hand?  How do I pull back in time?  How do I let any bad feelings blow over, especially within that vital microsecond, before things go too far?

Do I even care?

Surely it comes back to not judging another person’s values.  It comes down to resisting the temptation to become antagonistic towards someone because of the attitudes they have.  For me, when things begin to get out of hand, by having a grounding in non-violence I avoid inadvertently touching a raw nerve in my adversary.  And when it comes the other way around, when I’m being cornered, it’s important that I don’t appear hypersensitive.

Communications on this subject of Animal Rights is fraught with dangers.  As soon as I feel entitled to get my point across no matter what, I will surely fail.  As soon as I go for broke, show I’m not scared of getting rough or getting into a fight, I run the risk of losing friendly feelings or even the whole friendship, over this difference of opinion.

I’ve found that ‘going for broke’ never wins the argument and usually haemorrhages a person’s respect for me.  So, it comes down to this - do I really think that the issue of Animal Rights is more important than staying on friendly terms with someone?

Perhaps I’ll argue that I must be true to my role as animal-advocate – I must rigorously defend them under all circumstances.  But what if this approach is doomed to failure?  Maybe we aren’t trying to win the argument as much as we are firstly trying to win the heart, by convincing our opponents that, bottom line, we are sworn to a non-violence policy.  This can impress and even win over the most hostile adversary, because of this value.  It makes me less scary.  It makes me approachable.  It allows a person to put up an argument without the fear of being shot down.

More is achieved by showing mutual respect than anything else.  We can even show a little humility, and by remembering the value of non-violence we won’t be so easily sucked into a fight, even though it means leaving my feelings on this subject undeclared.

But just wait a moment.  Is this honest?  If I have strong views surely I shouldn’t pretend otherwise?  And why should defending a position strenuously have to go pear-shaped anyway?  Surely the satisfaction of an argument, between two points of view, is stimulating, breaking through barriers of politeness, providing enough heady atmosphere to uproot stale attitudes?  Surely a frisson of tension means the issue is alive, even if does seem uncomfortable?

This ‘Animal Rights’ subject is a classic divider, even between close friends.  The vulcanologist never knows when or how big the volcanic eruption is going to be before it happens.  Similarly, we never know exactly what will set another person off, or precisely what issues are too sensitive for them?

What’s important here is surely not about our own human sensitivities being bruised, but the possibility of ‘blowing it’.  Let’s not forget just how important this subject is, not only for me and you but for the countless animals currently living down on Auschwitz Farm.  Surely our own sensitivities pale into insignificance when compared to the suffering of domesticated animals.  If we feel strongly about this, surely passion must outweigh politeness.  Isn’t a little bit of violence-in-our-talk excusable in order to demonstrate our outrage.  I want to move away from being Mr Nice Guy.
           
But this isn’t about conception but perception.  I think passionate advocacy can coexist with non-violence, and that our non-violent side is more robust than our violent side.  
           
If there is interest in what we say, it’s like having an invitation to speak freely.  And then we moderate that according to our respect for others’ feelings.  If I ever try to break in without an okay it’s just gate crashing, and whatever I do have to say will be less important than my aggro approach.


No comments: