Saturday, March 8, 2014

Hardened, machine-like humans

987: 

If I believe there’s any trace of hard-heartedness in me, then you won’t have much trouble convincing me I’m barbaric.  Ultimately, this is what makes many of us feel so afraid – the no-progress thing.  All the time the animals are not safe from us, we remain dangerous beings.   On a personal level I want to save my own soul, and not be held back by my own species’ reputation for violence.
           
Fifty billion domesticated farm animals, alive today, are on death row.  None of them have any quality of life.  None have any reason to live.   None have any contact with the natural world.  If not consciously, then sub consciously, I’m sure people are aware of the ways they are involved in all this.  I’m sure our own happiness is linked to wanting others to be happy too, whether they be humans or animals.  Conversely, our unhappiness is undoubtedly linked to our attachment to those commodities extracted from animals which are treated cruelly.

I don’t want to be weighed down by other people’s mistakes, but I also don’t want to feel separate from anyone either.  I accept that we are all much the same under the skin, we’re just at different levels of awareness.  I’m fairly sure that our greatest differences are superficial and we can bring ourselves closer to each other by assessing what is important and what is not?  We’ll never get close to one another if we’ve lost our sense of discrimination and given over our autonomy to the industrial machine.


No comments: