Sunday, March 2, 2014

Self-development

981:

When I get to thinking about my own self-development, what I’m really doing is creating the person I want to be.  Which means undoing some things to make a clear space for other, newer things - I first think ‘repair’ (which sounds dull), then I can start to use my imagination to be ‘creative’.  I’ve got two things going on in my head at the same time - I’m doing something big for myself and, as an extra, I’m hopefully also doing something for the greater good.

It starts out as self-discipline (which sounds uncomfortable) but as changes start to take place, (hopefully) they become a new type of enjoyment.  The nearest comparison I can think of would be ‘keeping fit’.  It works in the same way.  I see the need to lose weight or tone my muscles, so I do the training and end up proud of my effort.  (I hope) I have a better body.
           
Working for the ‘greater good’ might sound a bit grim until I see the reward for my effort - selfless at first, self-benefitting later.  The breakthrough comes with the realisation that what I want for others is what I want for myself - what I do for myself benefits others at the same time.

But this is the prelude to something much bigger, namely the idea of altruism, or you might say ‘altruism re-visited’, which is neither me-centred nor you-centred, but striking a balance between common interests.  It’s the most intelligent way of organising things.

In order for altruism to work, I’ve got to give it a go; I must be willing to try it.  And for that I will need a good dose of optimism.  I have to be able to say, “So what if all this damage has been done.  What’s done is done.  It can be fixed”.  Optimism ‘ups’ my energy, which in turn ups my own chances of being successful (in my own eyes, at any rate).  Once I’m heading towards something worth reaching, success comes because what I’m attempting to do is the most meaningful thing I could be doing for myself. In that, it is ultimately satisfying.
           
‘Satisfaction’ and ‘meaning’ are the big drivers here.  As soon as I think I’m making a difference, even only a tiny difference (in this case, ensuring that no animal will be killed on my behalf), I have taken a mature and compassionate step in the right direction.  If that makes me happier about myself, then I can go on to promote this sort of altruistic approach.  I can, with a clear conscience, encourage others to do things this way.  I hope, ultimately, it will lead to the majority of people wanting to liberate animals. 

No comments: