Thursday, December 15, 2016

Theory Versus Practice


1868:

I want to let people know how they’re being manipulated into buying ‘yummy’ foods and wearing shoes and clothing made from animals. Of course, in order to push my point home, I’d love to talk more about people’s ‘addiction’ to these foods and clothing items, but that would touch on a very raw nerve.

         

So, that’s my difficulty. How do I explain my reasons for being optimistic without mentioning boycotting? It’s almost impossible to explain the remedy for pessimism without giving offence. People make great daily use of all the stuff I’d be suggesting they stop using. I could talk about saving money by not wasting it in buying rubbish. I could talk about the health benefits of eating only from the plant world. But I’d always have to come back to the crimes committed by the Animal Industries and, by implication, the consumer’s crime in supporting them. The very mention of ‘crime’ would win me no friends. I realise it would distance me from non-vegans, and I don’t want to be seen as a shame-merchant, because that’s not going to help change peoples’ attitudes. But how to embark on this subject, with any serious purpose, without seeming to take the moral high ground?



It would be wonderful if it were like any other subject, where one’s opinion wasn’t reflected in one’s daily actions. But this isn’t something about which an opinion can be changed or modified so easily – it has to be linked to daily habits of eating and wearing, of what we buy and what we have in our cupboards and wardrobes. You might not agree with animal cruelty but if you comply with the way things come into our possession, then how can you do anything but be a supporter of what you, in theory, disagree with?

No comments: