Sunday, July 12, 2015

Vegans not-reacting

1420: 

If we are discussing the merits of Animal Rights, the argument-advantage is always ours.  We have a handle on the issues, whereas non-vegans have the embarrassment of holding too many weak arguments.  In terms of point-scoring, we have nothing to fear whereas they do, despite being part of the majority's opinion.  So we shouldn’t be trying to win arguments, rather we should be seen to be encouraging discussion.  For that reason alone, we should be careful, like a card player, not to use all our trump cards too soon, if at all.

Where’s all this going?  Me talking to you, you reacting to my tone, my words, my looks, my arguments.  Do you see me trying to provoke an argument?  Do you see me as being on the attack?
         
How am I feeling in front of you, when I wonder what will happen if I lose my advantage?  Or if I lose control of my ‘vibrations’, and you see through me?  Or if I seem like a book that has an unpalatable story? And how can I avoid you sensing hostility when I bring up the subject of ‘Animal Rights’?

Perhaps I must bear in mind one rule:  I am NOT trying to change anyone’s mind.  I'm observing you but trying my hardest not to judge you, because that's always going to be reciprocated.  It's a neutral starting point I want from you, about me.  If any change of heart is to take place for you, it's something you'll want to do for yourself, in your own time.  All I should be trying to do is get useful information across.  To that end, I should be quick, or at least to the point.  But, not cover issues too quickly, and not too pointedly either.

This is how I see it: talk is a two way road.  I need to convince you that I think listening is just as important as talking, and to show this I’ll listen to you with an open mind and wait till it’s my turn to speak.  If you make a response which isn't to-my-liking, then it's up to me NOT to take umbrage.  If I say something ‘vegan-inspired’ and you rubbish it and my ego gets bruised, it's not for me to feel offended or show that I've been offended.  Hardened animal advocates should be immune to any of these surface tensions. 
         
I like to think of these interactions as Big Events.  However they’re probably not big events to those we’re speaking with, who don’t realise why we’re getting so excited over this animal thing.  They won’t necessarily realise that we’re ‘being urgent’, both on the animals’ behalf and for them too.  They might only think we're trying to get their approval for our being vegan.  Maybe that's not fair, but we should be used to having our motives misjudged.  That we care about people's well-being as much as wanting rights for animals would probably be a foreign concept to most non-vegans.  Therefore, it's unlikely that non-vegans would believe that the vegan-advocate wants to prevent life-threatening dangers being visited on fellow humans just as much as wanting animal liberation.

The logic behind vegan principle is like the enjoyment you get from a good book or a good story.  It’s all in the detail - details we think about when we’re alone with our own private thoughts.  The thread of logic, quite apart from the empathy factor or promoting ethical values or compassion, runs right through vegan principle, from the starting point to a very attractive end-point.  It runs from the eating of healthy food, through animal rights, through non-violence and ending up, one day, to there being a sustainable and peaceful planet.
         
I hope whatever I have to say on this subject will just seem like a good story.  But knowing myself, I'll probably end up coming on too strong.  And when I’m trampling the roses, getting confrontational or personal, that’s when I might start to seem unfriendly.  For any one of us, as soon as we withdraw our affection, it shows.  Every one of us, from babyhood to old age is hard-wired to spot this danger in the other.  We are for ever on the look-out to see if a person has a nasty side.  And that's when we watch out for those nasty value judgements, which ultimately stop people listening and slow down the process of changing-one's-views.

*********************************************************************

THE BLOG NOW continues with A LONG ARTICLE, BROKEN UP INTO FIVE PARTS, starting (tomorrow) Monday through Friday, all of which has been edited by my very dear vegan friend CJ Tointon.  As usual, whenever you notice any good English expression in these blogs, it's usually down to her good work.  It's all done pro bono, and with skill and enthusiasm on her part.  And I'll take this opportunity here to thank her most profoundly for her assistance.

From tomorrow: A Transubstantive Suggestion - in Five Parts

No comments: