Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Loose Talk

1437: 

The reason one might feel angry with the human world is because people are insensitive to the violence and cruelty of the Animal Industry, in that they support and won't question it; people are so reluctant to change.  But why should we expect fellow humans to be more than they actually are?  They continue to eat rubbish foods, continue to get ill, continue to hold violent attitudes, and it seems such a waste of personal potential, and that’s what makes me exasperated.  But it’s an exasperation with myself too, for my almost wilful refusal to understand the minds of my fellow human beings.  I can be unreasonable in that I've had more opportunity and freedom to change, never having had to be responsible for anyone but myself.  I've had time to pursue my interest in non-violence and all its implications on daily life, whereas others have had less time and freedom.

Vegans, who are active in promoting Animal Rights, invest time in a great cause.  And because there's often a big investment, we look for results.  And in this field of endeavour results are few and far between.  So, when I think I’m getting somewhere and hit yet another disappointment, it hits me hard.  I never seem to get used to it.  And most surprisingly, I never see it coming.  Overall, the most depressing thing I experience is that it often seems as if no one is taking notice of what we are saying –the axe murderer has the axe poised, ready to strike and you refuse to believe it could happen.  It’s a type of deafness, but more closely related to reluctance.  It's a reluctance to even talk or discuss the matter of animal farming and animal food - why  would one risk walking into such a contentious discussion, or speak ones mind on this subject?

Beyond all else, everyone values affection and friendship.  Intimacy allows good friends to talk freely about anything.  Once, we only avoided talking about religion, sex and politics but that's fair game now.  Today, the big taboo subject is ‘animals’, notably the confining and killing and eating of them.  It's taboo because most people are eating them, necessitating the all the rest.

Other than talking about the cute-and-cuddly variety, animals are not a recommended topic of conversation.  This is a subject known for bringing up deep issues and passionate views.  Getting into talk about the use and abuse of those animals which produce so much of our food is dangerous.  On the one hand, the carnivore has very little ethical argument to justify their eating habits, and on the opposite side, our arguments are often razor sharp.  Just by talking-animals carries with it the risk of blowing a whole friendship through over un-thought-out ‘animal talk’.  All it takes is one comment.


No comments: