Saturday, August 12, 2017

Gut-Speak


2061:

Imagine your best friend, the one you’ve known since childhood, the one who knows you better than you do yourself. They say, “You always hurt the one you love” – in this case your friend is your body. It puts up with plenty. It even adapts, bending here, twisting there, accommodating the demands of the senses as a loving parent does the screaming child. But abuse takes a toll.

Our brain tells us one thing, our gut-feeling tells us another. Gut-instinct says, “Be careful – there’s danger - you aren’t safe – you’re poisoning ‘me’ with animal stuff. It vibrates with the cries of abused animals. I feel it. Give me real food, gentle food, plant food. I know you are used the other stuff. Like everyone, you are used to it. But I can’t hold things together forever. As you get older, your brain will let you know that you are slowing-down due to the effect of your diet. And if that makes you uncomfortable, then don’t leave it too late to do something about it. All I can say is that you have always voted for comfort over safety. Filling your stomach has made you sluggish. Your brain will no longer rescue you. Your peers have moved on. You are alone. But I’m still with you, and I’m not fooled.

No comments: