Sunday, April 9, 2017

Vegans Facing Opposition


1952:

I know that my feeling of empathy and compassion for animals is right, of course it is, because it’s anti-slavery. It feels right in the same way as non-violence feels right. I’ve never heard anyone denounce vegan principle or say that it was in any way wrong.



But the subject agitates people. They show plainly that they don’t want to discuss it. They don’t like me voicing my opinion on animal matters in general. And if I attack their views, if my arguments get at all heated, I know I’ve gone too far and then I prefer to withdraw.



I’m always having to remind myself that, in a free world, each person is entitled to their own opinion and it’s ridiculous to wage war over a puff of smoke. I don’t need everyone to agree with me, I don’t need to take on every red neck I meet. I don’t need to parry every joke made at my expense. And by the same token I mustn’t feel intimidated by what others say, even if they’re powerful political figures or corporations.



Vegans can be confident simply by virtue of the fact that they are vegan. In the end my own example is the most powerful weapon I have. If I start to get aggressive it means I’m afraid of defeat. And I know I needn’t be afraid of anyone since no one has the courage to take any of us on in serious debate.



As far as I know, this is the only subject which non-vegans have never dared to thoroughly talk about in public.  

         

No comments: