Thursday, April 13, 2017

Manipulation


1956:

I want to let people know how they’re being manipulated into buying “yummy” foods made from animals. Of course, in order to push my point home, I’d love to talk more about people’s ‘addiction’ to these foods but that would touch a very raw nerve.



So, that’s my difficulty. How do I explain my reasons for being optimistic without mentioning my reason for boycotting? It’s almost impossible to do that without offending most people. People make great daily use of all the stuff I’d be suggesting they avoid. I could talk about saving money by not wasting it in buying rubbish. I could talk about the health benefits of eating only from the plant world. But mostly I am drawn to talk about the crimes committed by the Animal Industries and, by implication, the consumer’s crime of supporting them. The very mention of crime would win me no friends. I realise it would distance me from non-vegans. And I don’t want to be seen as shame-merchant - that’s not going to help if I want to change peoples’ attitudes.


No comments: