Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Attitude versus Attitude

1376: 

Being vegan means putting up with people’s misunderstanding of veganism.  Vegans seem like ‘refusniks’, as if we’re resentful and uncooperative, and people who think themselves superior.  But that’s not how we see ourselves and it’s not what we are on about.

A non-vegan friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that global warming was the biggest issue facing us, but I said the other big issue threatening the world was the practice of animal eating.  But before I could expand on my outrageous theory I was stopped.  He ‘knew’ what subject I wanted to bring up and he wanted to close down the discussion.  The problem was, he thought he knew what I was going to say, guessing I’d have no trouble opening up a whole, deep discussion of certain matters for which he had neither the time nor the inclination to get into.  So I never got the chance to explain what I had in mind. I wanted to equalise the argument, certainly not disagree with what he thought but to add another dimension which he might not have considered before.
         

It’s not easy to find anyone to listen to you these days, especially when people get wind of what we are trying to bring up.  But we have to come to terms with that – it’s perhaps not how we’d like it to be but how it actually is.  We can’t expect others to have a ‘Eureka moment’ after listening to what we have to say.  We can’t even expect them to want to listen.  Their attitude-shift is not something that’s going to be handed to us on a plate.  It will have to be worked for, and without a bull-in-a-china-shop approach too.  

No comments: