Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I’m from a dangerous species

1163:
We fear losing our freedom and our position at the top of the food chain.  To prevent this loss we acquire power, build up stocks of money, exploit resources, and that includes animals. Anything to make us feel more secure.  And if I can get to the top of the pile, I will.  Money is my main security-in-life.

I’m careful with money ... but not so careful elsewhere.  I’m willing to be clumsy and cruel.  I’ll push you aside if you’re in my way.  I’ll exploit you if you happen to be useful to me.  I don’t care if I damage the environment or hurt the feelings of an animal, if it can get me what I want to make me feel safe.  In my quest for security I’m willing to squash my sensitivity and put on my hard skin of pragmatism.  I have no qualms about adopting a coldness of heart if it can get me what I want.


I’ll desensitise even further, until all traces of compassion and imagination are gone.  That’s when I’m ready to take on the animals and exploit the bejesus out of them.  I’m from a dangerous species.

No comments: