Monday, March 4, 2013

The profoundest of changes


655:

Since most of us aren’t in the military we aren’t used to being ordered around. Unless at school or at work or in the military we react badly when someone tells us what to do. Our immediate reaction might be to tell them to piss off. We defend our right not to be pushed around or even advised … but leaving that particular ‘right’ aside for a moment, if someone is bold enough to bring something to our attention (“you’re wearing your shirt inside-out”) it’s not necessarily a criticism, it’s just a helpful comment. It comes down to how we take things – positively or negatively. If I accept the advice then it’s an admission that I still have something to learn.
We’re not talking here, though, about how we’re dressed but about making a profound change to our daily life. If I start to talk about Animal Rights, my comments concern no small matter because they pertain to one’s whole daily food regime. What makes it so profound is that it isn’t just about food; what I decide to do today doesn’t only affect me and isn’t just for my own immediate benefit; my decision directly concerns others too, and in this case it’s about doing something to defend animals’ rights. It’s profound because it’s an altruistically-driven decision to change. 

No comments: