Friday, January 11, 2013

We’re vegans not ‘vague-ans’


607:

What happens when talking turns to fighting, with friends, over ‘issue-differences’? It can be terrible but mostly we just get mildly irritated by each other, which is usually enough to stay clear of serious controversy.
But serious talkers we are. Nothing I like better than having the chance to talk serious-talk, with friends. The next time it happens, our central moral and ethical positions are ready to be defended. But if the person we are talking to feels they are on weak ground, they foresee a possible skirmish, which might end up worse. So to keep my best friends happy I’m inclined to not talk animal matters with them. But isn’t that a cop out?
Here then are the two main problem of advocating for animals - we can be identified too strongly with it and with nothing else. That’s annoying. But secondly, it’s difficult to NOT talk about it when so many other ideas are linked to it. I’ve never really been able to resolve these two particular difficulties. It turns out that I either do NOT talk animals to friends and keep them sweet, or I lose my friends by always going on about animals, ending up with no one to hear what I’ve got to say. In consequence I get very rusty at talking on this subject because I can’t find anyone to discuss it with.
The opposite side of the coin is their effect on me: the opposite difficulty would be me taking umbrage by the things people say to me. And I’d be trying not to be too easily triggered, but it’s very difficult. I get irritated by their obviousness, in dealing with me. Like, when they insist on mispronouncing “vay-gen” (when everyone knows it’s “vee-gn”) but they choose to imply the subject is too unimportant for them to have learnt the proper pronunciation. Or using the sound of that particular vowel to make us seem as if ‘vaygans’ are somehow vague (about what we believe). Or like when there’s a deliberate misunderstanding, likening Animal Rights with a cult or a religion. And my last least-favourite irritation is when the implication is that we are part of a strict group that dictates what we may or may not do, when people ask, “Are you allowed to eat this?” implying a contempt for my willingness to give up normal freedoms concerning food choices. I usually say rather testily “Yes, we can eat anything, it’s just my personal choice NOT to”. And of course that makes me sound rather precious.
You see, we can’t win. But perhaps that’s the whole point anyway; it isn’t about winning. Nor is it necessarily about converting anyone. Perhaps the age has passed where we shame people into believing the way we do, because veganism isn’t a belief in that sense. It’s more like a logic, that even a three year old can follow. As if you’d have to be slightly stoopid not to see the point we are making.
But we’ll always be tested, to see if we’ll hit out when goaded. It’s the same reasoning that makes people pretend not to know how to pronounce the word ‘vegan’ (‘veggn’ or ‘vayghan’ as if the pronunciation is not worth learning because it describes something of such little importance) so as to force us to correct them. But these are minor irritations. They’re meant to shock or mock, and I believe it’s coming from their having no ethical constraint on what they’re willing to eat; everything is indulged in and nothing is missed out on.
It’s quite the opposite way for us, where with vegans everything is examined. Vegans look closely at all commodities to determine their provenance. And that’s hardly ‘vague’!

No comments: