Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why do vegans dislike non-vegans?

478: … Hey, excuse me, not ALL vegans dislike non-vegans … but our image precedes us. Our reputation (as people-haters) is part of what we’re known for. For my part, I know that I’ve used confrontation in the past ... to ‘guilt’ people, but it never works. The approach is changing, today we just need some essential facts at our fingertips so that we can shock-speak outrageously BUT without value-judging the people we’re talking to. Having said that, I have to admit there’s nothing better than having a good stoush with a meat-eater, to release the frustration of being ignored and to have some fun at their expense. I sometimes need to do just that to preserve my sanity. But in the end it all comes down to effectiveness - how what I say is taken and how I, as an advocate, am accepted. Talking up Animal Rights always generates some heat BUT it’s destructive heat if it’s aggressive. Some of us can be so consumed with anger that we wear it like body odour. If I look carefully at my own anger, I have to admit that sometimes I just want revenge! I secretly want to attack meat eaters as pay back for attacking animals. Big mistake!! When I try to make ‘them’ see the error of their ways by making them feel uncomfortable, I think I’m trying to wake them up. Maybe that’s valid enough, but it comes across as if I am talking down to them. Or doubting them - already convinced they’ll never change.

No comments: