Sunday, May 13, 2012

Strong with compassion

487: If an omnivore is compassionate by nature, how do they feel when they meet me, and I tart to accuse them of not caring about animals? When a vegan condemns an omnivore it can cut deep. It probably doesn’t stimulate self examination only derision and counter attack – “You’re insane. Animal-derived foods are fundamental to life, and universally used by humans in every country of the world. To try to change that is pointless”. Needless to say, vegans don’t see it that way. But on another level I often ask myself what it is that I want to get out of being an advocate for Animal Rights – maybe to be right, maybe to feel superior to others. And if so, what then? I know we have a watertight case and that might make me seem too confident and maybe I can abuse that advantage ... and being ‘right’ emboldens me, getting me very close to asserting my ‘right to speak out’ (whether you like it or not). Is this a sort of violence - a stab here and a punch there, to drive my message home? I have to admit that my sledgehammer approach is close to bullying, close to one-upmanship, almost boasting for being so relaxed and fearless. On the opposite side is the omnivore. Their response is to eat ‘dangerous foods’ in a dominator-goes-out-to-kill-his-meat sort of way. They show an “up yours!” confidence. The meat-eater’s macho slugs it out with the vegan’s value judgements, punch for punch. Omnivores try to disarm us mentally, using ridicule and refusing to talk on such a ridiculous level. “Animal Rights is a ‘non-issue’”. They dig their heels in. But if we drive them to feel this way (the ‘book’ is closed, never to be opened again) we’ve only harmed our cause not helped it. Which is why I try to internalise my outrage. I know I’m sad that such terrible things are happening, that things have turned out this way … but get over it - I’m not looking for any pity for myself. I only want others to feel pity for them.

No comments: