Friday, May 18, 2012

250 deaths

489: Imagine how it would be if people did respond differently to what we were saying (about animals and eating them), rather than getting defensive. Suppose they came over to seeing things from the animals’ point of view. Imagine how it would be if vegans approached omnivores without wanting to attack them. Imagine how we’d sound without the static of judgement in our voices. I find it useful, when talking on this subject, to have a couple of shock facts in the bag, to help clinch the ‘deal’, to act as stun grenades for when things turn seriously illogical. I like to keep something at hand, to help me feel confident when facing group opposition. Most importantly, I like to trust the discussion and let it go where it may, knowing that I have this particular trump up my sleeve - that we in the West each eat 250 animals a year. I like to let people chew on that. Why go further? The rest of the argument, about ‘why vegan’, speaks for itself.

No comments: