Thursday, March 29, 2012

Change - I can hardly wait!!

450:

If there’s something I want to see change, something big I’d like to see changing in my self and, by extension, in our society, I’d like to know what I’m getting into.
Change can mean having to go the long way round, being patient, thinking along the lines of “better to prevent than cure”. Ideally change would be motivated by a sense of great-improvements-to-come. It would be something I’d enjoy doing at the time, and enjoy it because I’d marked it with a stamp of my own personality (the style-merchant doing something important but with some style). If I’m going to be making changes I want to feel optimistic, creative and enthusiastic about it. Then, as far as I can see, nothing much can possibly go wrong. I’m wondering though if everyone would see the prospect of change that way.
I know I’ve often made changes in the past out of fearing-for-the-worst, having a compulsion to change, gritting my teeth, being full of determination. The potential enjoyment of change has been spoiled by procrastination, especially when a deep-set habit is involved. Changing certain types of habits is daunting. They feel unchangeable. Even the intention-to-change depends on my being in the right mood. But it isn’t always like that! In another sort of mood I might only consider changing habits to save my own skin. (Like giving up red meat after suffering a heart attack).
Whatever my mood or motivation I should be asking myself if I think change is attractive or a turn-off? It depends on what it is that I’m changing, but say it’s one of the classic habits, the addictive habit or a rigid attitude. Changing these habits is hard despite the promise of good returns in the future.
All this crosses my mind when, after becoming vegan, I wanted to sell it to others. In the vegan drive towards ‘humanising humans’ I was wanting to persuade others about the importance of change, but then I realised how important it was for me to be absolutely clear about what I was saying. Anyone can understand the message I am trying to put out but it’s the ‘how’ of saying it that tips the balance - if I can do it firmly but gently it might just catch on. If it does impact, it won’t be because of any finger-wagging or make-‘em-afraid approach. So how do I get it across?
All I know is that the prospect of becoming a more humane human should make the necessary changes to habit seem attractive. Ideally, the very idea of enjoying a ‘vegan-principled life’ should make such a great contrasts to the rut most people are in that they’d welcome the chance to change. Oh, if it were only that straight forward!

No comments: