Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Radical change

How can radical change work for us? The thought of making big changes in our life, especially when they may not be understood by others, frightens us. Ethical principles seems to rule out behaviours we’ve grown accustomed to. Over the years we’ve acquired habits that make life easier but on closer inspection many are unethical. They need to be dropped, ugghh!, and we know it and everyone knows it, and everyone still does it.
To radically alter a habit, especially a habit concerning three-times-a-day food, isn’t so easy; If we feel like a failure in life, and probably most of us do, going vegan will probably turn out to be yet another failure. Can we afford to take that risk.
Going vegan -‘fail’ - me fail bigtime, me trying to ‘go vegan’.
For a start, I don’t think I can kick my favourite habits. Truth to tell, I don’t want to kick them. I prefer to continue being as I am until one day when things start to go wrong, then I’ll change. I will change but all in good time.
As our body fails and we see, for instance, that our eating habits are making us ill. We’re even then still reluctant to change. It’s the pleasure association we can’t let go of … but the body fails nonetheless and we wonder what I’ facing for the rest of my life? Not only can I not ignore symptoms (of the ageing body’s failings) but I can’t face the upheaval of “change”.

No comments: