Friday, November 28, 2008

The consumer trap

We are all consumers and we all need help to make the right decisions. One big help is in clear and full labelling of products. And if it is suitable for vegans then a “this product is suitable for vegans” label makes shopping that much easier. It’s common in other countries but not in Australia. When we’re after a food product with several ingredients, vegans want to be sure it’s free of those dreaded items.
I go into a food store with my reading glasses in hand, ready to examine the microscopic print in the ingredients list, to catch any animal products listed. But I have to know that albumen is from eggs, that whey is from milk and gelatine is from hoofs, and many more sneaky terms they use to hide items that come from the abattoir. If the product contains nothing objectionable, the least they could do is make what’s in it clear, and better still, put a tick next to the word ‘vegan’ on the front of the packaging.
We need good labelling so that we can make informed choices. If we are eating foods from abattoirs or the co-products or by-products of animal farming or the foods whose ingredients contain these products, it should be clearly stated. We have the right to know what we are putting into our bodies.
Vegans, and that includes me who is too lazy to follow my own advice, should write to product manufacturers who make vegan-suitable products. Tell them we appreciate their ingredients and ask them to label their products vegan friendly, or some such. Not only am I lazy but I’m forgetful too. When I’m off food shopping I forget to take my glasses, so of course I can’t read the damned ingredients list anyway. I have to refrain from buying something because I’m not sure what’s in it.

No comments: