Monday, March 6, 2017

Multi-purpose energy




1930:

That we believe animals (i.e. food animals) are low on our priority list, and that we think their treatment is not very important, reflects a rather alarming attitude. And yet it’s probably coming from a very basic survival instinct, connected with saving energy. We are brought up to think that animal food is the best source of energy, and that in turn is linked to an attitude about energy itself, and where it comes from and how profligate we should be in its use.



Energy is a mystery. The part played by some energy in affecting another type of energy cannot be proved. We can’t define attitude in terms of energy and yet we know that positivity can boost motivation in almost magical ways. So, I don’t believe that all energy is simply a finite resource like the finite quantity of fuel in the car’s petrol tank. There are surely other sources and qualities of energy, other than the physical, other that that which we draw from, say, food. Eat crap food and we experience energy drain. Another food does the opposite.



It’s precious stuff this energy. It’s not a good feeling to run out of it. Just on the level of physical energy, everyone knows the feeling of it not being there. And we can’t do what we want to do. We conserve it like saving money in a bank. We resist the begging-bowl pressures of life, for fear of draining this valuable stuff.



I’m led to believe that if I spend energy too frivolously I’ll have nothing left in reserve. If I use it up on taking initiatives I risk my energy supply and interfere with my already-long list of nagging responsibilities. Low energy leads to things going horribly wrong. Better not to risk or waste it. But there again, this very energy might be drained by guilt about doing nothing.



So, I weigh up my options. I think about my responsibilities, and about looking after things I own, things given to me, ‘things’ I’m in charge of, like table, bike, food, kids, house and friends, knowing that each will take a portion of my energy. And then, after that, will I really have very much energy left for things lower on my priority list, like protecting animals’ rights? Working for Animal Rights sounds particularly energy- consuming.



But the food, the food vegans eat, how could it be so simple? Energy from plants. Way to go.



To go - to act for them, promote their rights, work like a ‘guardian’ for them. What will that involve? Energy, certainly, but energy comes from various sources. Like love. That’s getting energy from love rather than from exploitation. We are so used to these crude energy sources that we barely notice they come from the harsh world, where animals are made to work for us. Energy which is drained from an animal’s life is, almost certainly, karmically-useless energy.



We’re told that the farmer loves his animals, but in truth any care shown to them is given to protect human interests, not the animal’s interest - attending to their welfare means the animals will respond better and grow faster and, in theory, more (energy) will be gotten out of them, the less we are abusive towards them. Is that cynical or what?

No comments: