Friday, March 17, 2017

Inconsistency 2


1935:

I know how inconsistent I can be when I disregard the ‘homeless man’ on the streets at night - I see him and ask myself why should I care about him? I don’t want to take on another ‘responsibility’, so I pretend not to notice him. And by doing that, I pretend NOT to notice what I know I have noticed.



It’s the same with the way most people choose NOT to see the animals behind the food they’re eating. They know that chickens and pigs are just like dogs and cats, yet they treat one as unlovable and the other as loveable. The homeless man is just as deserving of love as my closest friend, more so, and yet I ignore him completely. Afraid of catching his eye. He’s not our concern, as animals are not our concern. We don’t regard all sensitive and sentient creatures as of equal importance.

No comments: