Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Style


1901:

My conscience may rely on morality, but it’s not its only guide and I’m not keen on the idea of morality when it has so much ugly association with god-botherers and goodness-preachers. I’d like my conscience to take a constructive path and avoid the bad and insincere in the same way that one would avoid foul-smelling air. I’m aware that ‘being good’ is still very much about brownie points, which I haven’t any interest in. Ideally, it’s closer to panache and style.



In a vegan lifestyle I see a smoother operation - the body itself is usually functioning in top form simply because it isn’t being daily poisoned by animal stuff. I feel that my mind is more inspired by its own potential, rather than its focusing on bald goodness or sensible healthiness. I don’t want to just ‘do right’ but to do right things more easily. I’m happier being in a more gentle relationship with my environment, when everything that can respond-back does so, positively and in a gentler style. Style again.



Veganism is about stepping beyond the tempting world of commodities in order to become freer to develop a number of things, not the least of which is sensitive thinking and sensitive attitudes. I notice it in myself, when I’m not for ever tripping over guilt and grubby, old fashioned attitudes, especially those which regularly concern once-favourite foods, produced by the animal-industry. For me personally, as a vegan, this is the really great advantage of my lifestyle - but I admit that it’s frustrating that I can’t say this without sounding ‘up’ myself. 



When I’m advocating for animals I’m also hoping to set ‘style’. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not rubbishing a bit of old fashioned morality. It’s just that I like to think morality is a stepping stone to more interesting things. Morality is a good reference point, like having rules when you’re playing a sport. Then it’s just a matter of honesty, where the honourable sports-player plays a straight game and enjoys playing by the rules.



The problem, as I see it, with evangelical preachers, preaching unvarnished morality, is that they always kill the enjoyment. They have to make pleasure sinful, and in terms of vegan principle, if it’s made into a strictness it certainly loses its attractiveness.



Morality, ethical upbringing, values, they’re guides, pointing out the right direction, but we’re heading towards more sophisticated ways of living and decision-making these days . “Thou shalt not eat meat” isn’t inspiring, whereas “Lighten up - be vegan” seems to be worth investigating. It’s more attractive and just as moral.

No comments: