Sunday, October 2, 2016

Self-development

1807:

When I get to thinking about my own self-development, what I’m really trying to do is create the person I want to be. And that involves undoing some things to make a clear space for other things - two things especially. I want to be doing something big for myself and something for the greater good.

Both need self-discipline (which sounds uncomfortable) but as changes start to take place, they begin to take on the feel of a new enjoyment.  The nearest comparison I can think of would be ‘keeping fit’, to lose weight or tone one’s muscles. I’d take up some training and end up proud of my effort, with a better body to show for my efforts.
         
Working for the ‘greater good’ is just an extension of this ‘training’. On the face of it, it seems a bit grim with enough good intension to scuttle one’s initial motivation. But there’s reward here too, when one discovers that one’s efforts are selfless at first but self-benefitting later. The breakthrough comes with one single realisation that putting out energy in the cause of ‘the greater good’ sets of a self-generating machine; it starts as good intention (what I want for others is what I want for myself) and ends up as a transcendental bonus, in that what I do for myself benefits others at the same time.

This is the prelude to altruism, which is neither me-centred nor you-centred, but striking a balance between common interests. Nothing is wasted, neither motivation, good intention or selfish desire. It’s the most intelligent way of organising things.

Like the buzz you get after the initial shock of jumping into the cold sea, in order for altruism to work you’ve got to make that initial decision to dive in. For it to be experienced we must be willing to try it. It is an act of faith, after all. And part of that faith is optimism along with the positivity of mind that says to us, “So what if all this damage has been done.  What’s done is done.  It can be fixed”. 

Optimism ‘ups’ energy, which in turn ups one’s chances of being successful. And if success isn’t to get caught up in ego and self aggrandisement we need to know that we’re heading towards something worth reaching. That intention and motivation and altruism are all locked together in one meaningful thing, which is the most meaning-full thing I could be doing for myself and therefore the most ultimately satisfying.
         
‘Satisfaction’ and ‘meaning’ are the big drivers here.  As soon as we think we might be making a difference, even only a tiny difference (in this case, ensuring that no animal will be killed on my behalf), we take a mature and compassionate step in the right direction.


If that makes me happier about myself, then I can go on to encourage others to go about doing things this way. And specifically, ultimately lead the majority of people to want to liberate animals. 

No comments: