Thursday, March 17, 2016

Vegans facing opposition

1653: 

I know that my feeling of empathy and compassion for animals is right. Of course it is, because it’s anti-slavery. It feels right in the same way as non-violence feels right. I’ve never heard anyone denounce vegan principle or say that it was in any way wrong.
         
But the subject agitates people. They show plainly that they don’t want to discuss it. They don’t like us voicing our opinion on animal matters in general. They certainly don't like it if we attack their views, or worse if our arguments get heated.

When I know I’ve gone too far, I withdraw. I’m always having to remind myself that, in a free world, each person is entitled to their own opinion and it’s ridiculous to wage war over a puff of smoke. For my part, I don’t need everyone to agree with me. Nor do I need to take on every red neck I meet, or feel obliged to parry every joke made at my expense. By the same token, I refuse to be intimidated by what others say, even if they’re representing the 'popular view' or they're powerful politicians.
         
We have something they haven't got - as vegans, we can be confident simply by virtue of the fact that we are vegan. Our own example is the most powerful weapon we have. If we start to get aggressive, it means we're afraid of defeat. The one thing that's clear is that no one dares to take any of us on in serious debate. This is the one subject that non-vegans never talk about in public, for fear of making themselves look both uninformed and callous. 

          

No comments: