Friday, October 30, 2015

Move to Activism

1529: 

Animal activists make it their business to look where others don’t care to.  When I visited my first intensive farm and my first abattoir, straight away everything changed for me.  What I saw turned me vegan, and I knew if others saw what I saw, whether at first hand or via video footage, they’d react as I did; they’d be outraged enough to change their eating habits.  With that sort of evidence, it would be enough for them to boycott the whole Industry’s products.  But I was wrong.  When all this was receiving mass exposure in the 1980s, what a shock I got when I saw that there was NO great surge of compassion.

This more than anything made me wonder about people, particularly about parents, politicians, preachers and pedagogues.  Now, some decades later, I’m still wondering why they aren’t telling the kids the truth about animal farming.  It’s not that they don’t know, it’s just that they don’t want to know, or more particularly, they don’t want the kids to know for fear of it reflecting badly on them.
         
As I moved into adulthood, or at least into a state of independence (buying my own clothes, preparing my own meals), I began to focus on the job in hand.  The shock was gone and I was moving on from the easier game of blaming ‘those who didn’t tell us’, to the much more difficult work of activism via communication.

Activism shouldn't waste energy on blame.  The fact is that, to some extent, we’ve all got blood on our hands. But as activists we don't have time to waste.  We should be looking where others don’t look and make sure we respond appropriately to what we discover.  If we see how the pig is forced to live, then drop pork; if we see how the battery system operates, then drop eggs; if we see the abattoir in operation, then drop everything that has a face – that’s vegan principle in operation.  And once our own life has been cleaned up, then it's time to tell this story to others.

As adults with free choice, we should make a study of the faces of animals.  If you look into their eyes you will see a downtrodden look of resignation.  Then take a look at the face of an animal at the abattoir, being led into the execution chamber.  It’s an unforgettable face of despair.  And this is the terror that the carnivore condones or ignores; this is a reflection of the lengths they'll go to, to get a taste of animal flesh or secretion.

When I first saw the faces of captive animals, in zoos, on farms, or in laboratories, it was enough to stop me in my tracks, make me check my habits, make me boycott, make me plant-base all my food and clothing, and then move on to activism.
         
So, what is activism?
         
For some time, for me, it was a huge project - changing my food habits, changing my choice of shoes and jumpers and blankets, but later, when diet was resolved and shoes and clothes sorted out, I looked deeper.  I saw something even sadder than the waste and cruelty.  It was my own loss of faith in human nature, and that, not anger, began to fuel my activism ever since.

Giving up on human nature, not seeing the potential in people, is ultimately sad.  The one spark of hope comes from some of the turned-on youth of today, who are moving away from all this cruelty and waste, and becoming vegan and pro-active animal advocates.


No comments: