Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Sometimes I'm withdrawing

1267: 

A middle aged person I’ve known a long time, once vegetarian, is now eating lamb (see yesterday’s blog).  For her this whole subject provokes a need to put-down-the-righteous (in this case, me).  She wants to shift my views, and me hers.

Young people find major lifestyle change far easier than older people.  It’s much harder to persuade someone, who’s set in their ways over many adult years.  It isn’t easy for them to even consider what I’m saying, and it’s more difficult the older they are.  At some point in their lives this whole matter has been settled (about eating animals).  They’ve probably promised themselves, family, friends and colleagues, that “It will never happen”, and “It isn’t something I want to talk about”.

Perhaps because their position needs to be held to firmly, to make it clear that they are not in the market for changing, they underscore their determination by making tasteless jokes about vegans.

As one gets older, it’s harder to change because there’s more to lose.  Kids are less tolerant of their parents’ changing than the other way around; teenage kids are less intimidated by the opinions of parents and elders, especially when it comes to points of ethical principle.  For older people, if they ‘go vegan’ either for health or ethical reasons, the main problem they face is one of losing friends and altering so many social habits that it all becomes too daunting.  So, when I suggest they should consider a vegan diet, plus all the ethics that go with it, and if I then pick up negative reaction, even to hostility, that’s usually time to withdraw.

No comments: