Friday, January 30, 2015

Smile - you’re being watched


1269:

Vegans are used to people trying to have a go at them.  Usually it’s a very half-hearted attempt to make our ‘over sensitivity towards animals’ look foolish.  In company, an insulting comment is often enjoyed by everyone. 

Which is all the more reason why I shouldn’t let myself be provoked.  I don’t need to show outrage, although I should be sure my arguments can ride out these minor annoyances.  At the very least I should be able to say something which sounds, at the very least, competent.

Meat eaters, from their safe, majority position, always like to put down the righteous, aka the vegan.  They want to show how easy it is to make us angry.  They usually try to wind us up, to find an excuse NOT to have to listen to what they don’t want to hear.

If I get angry, it gives them the green light to shut the door in my face.  So, I tell myself, "DON'T get angry". Because if I do get a hearing, I must be prepared for a back-attack. That's part of the game - I’ve dared to question their most private lifestyle habits, they're defending themselves from what they perceive to be my 'attack'.

Most carnivores don’t care about farm animals' suffering, and don’t want to talk about it, but sometimes they do like a bit of biff. They taking us on. So, as vegans, we need to be ready for a bit of ‘dinner table attacking’.

The aim of a sharp-edged joke is to attract attention and gather support from others sitting around the table - the usual majority versus minority game. So, if I take umbrage or withdraw in silence, then it seems that I just can’t come up with a sharp enough retort to fit the occasion, and that makes them smell blood and go in for the kill.

These are still early days for Animal Rights; we’re building foundations and encouraging new attitudes towards animals. We’re outlining law reform that will illegalise abattoirs and animal farming.  And that would include the keeping of birds in cages (whether they’re budgerigars or hens) and fish in bowls or fish-farming tanks.  This line of thinking annoys people hugely, and they'll sometimes want to tell us so.  My point here is that it’s futile to spend too much time fighting with everyone who disagrees with us.

For my part, I don’t want to waste my life fighting every local skirmish.  Maybe those who laugh at us do need to be ignored, if only because jokers and ‘people with vested interests’ are still in the ascendancy.  Many of them are just busting to put us down if they get the chance.  Discretion might be the better part of valour (as in ‘going in boots and all’).

I know that my defence of farmed animals is right.  Of course it is, because it’s the logical outcome of the whole anti-slavery movement.  Obviously it feels right to me.  So, it’s a waste of my emotional energy if I get upset that others don’t agree.  Surely, it helps to have a good sense of humour about it all, if only to preserve our own sanity.  


If I've got to face opposition, it’s ridiculous for me to wage war on the heckler's every puff of smoke.  I don’t need to take on every red neck I meet, or parry every joke.  I don’t have to be afraid of any of this, because the fact is that none of our adversaries have ‘the bottle’ to take us on in serious debate.  

No comments: