Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Join the club

1242: 

It’s maybe my tight fistedness that stops me paying annual subscriptions, but I do have other reasons for no longer being a paid up member of any animal group.  I’m the first to admit that I’m not assisting their good work and perhaps not in any position to voice my opinion.  But in my heart, I’m a fervent supporter of their work:
To stop battery farming,
To ban live exports,
To illegalise mulesing of sheep

But there are so many other horrors which fall below their radar, and any amount still to be done, exposing routine animal cruelty.   In my opinion, most animal groups don’t seem to be speaking strongly enough against routine animal use.

Most animal rights groups have enthusiastic supporters.  Activists do hard, voluntarily work, attempting to stop the worst abuses.  But in doing so, they neglects the bigger picture (the need to persuade people not to use animals).  Even vegan groups, who stand for ethical vegetarianism, are drawn much more towards issues of health and food, and far less to fundamental issues concerning the animal’s right to live its own life.


Some groups are doing great work, rescuing animals, exposing cruelty, promoting vegan food.  If only it wasn’t just about that.  If only it were kept at about fifty percent, and the other fifty percent of energy spent promoting the idea that animals are not there for human convenience.  One of the main jobs of any animal rights group is surely to see how things could turn out in the future, and nudge public attitude that way.  Get them thinking as if things really could get much better, and they’ll have good reason to become vegan animal activists, like us.

No comments: