Monday, July 21, 2014

Non-judgement

1114: 

I find it comes out of the blue usually ... you and I are talking together about something or other and suddenly up comes this question of animals - using them, eating them, cruelty issues, etc. Instead of plunging into the usual rhetoric I try to establish a non-judgemental ‘space’ before discussing any specifics of animal-use. It’s such an emotive issue. To discuss anything about animals, it’s important to first get close enough to trust each other, so that in the event of disagreeing our mutually affectionate natures won’t alter, even when provoked. That above anything will stop disagreement turning into a quarrel.

          If I’m taking the initiative, then I might  show some good manners, which sets the standard of mutual regard. I find it’s as good a way as any to ease any tension - it’s a sufficiently powerful persuasion in itself. If I’m sounding powerful, outrageous or daring, I should always be affectionate, always insist on mutual respect … because if I’m representing Animal Rights I’m also representing the ultimate peace movement. I have a responsibility to establish the idea that both humans and non-humans deserve respect. As vegans we are in an ideal position to show how peace works, on all levels. 

No comments: