Sunday, May 25, 2014

One Attitude versus Another Attitude

1062: 

Being vegan means putting up with people’s misconception of veganism.  Vegans can seem to have ‘attitude’, to be ‘refusniks’, to be resentful and uncooperative, thinking themselves superior.  But worst of all, we always want to talk about it.

A non-vegan friend of mine mentioned to me the other day that global warming was the biggest issue facing us, but I suggested that there was another equally big issue threatening the world.  It was the practice of animal eating.  But before I could go on to explain my outrageous theory I was stopped.  He ‘knew’ what subject I wanted to bring up and he thought I was “getting a bit obsessive”, which was his way of closing down the discussion.  The problem was: he thought he knew what I was going to say, guessing I’d have no trouble opening up a whole, deep discussion of certain matters for which he had neither the time nor the inclination to get into.  So I never got the chance to explain what I had in mind.

It’s not easy to find anyone to listen to you these days, especially when people get wind of what we are trying to bring up.  But that is the reality.  Ours is not a fashionable subject for discussion, whereas climate change, environmental degradation is.


Often, vegans can’t even get off the starting blocks, and this is something  we just have to come to terms with.  It may not be how we’d like it to be, but this is how it actually is, right now.  If we want to experience any breakthrough, it’s likely we won’t get any ‘Eureka moments’ handed to us on a plate.  It has to be worked for.  

No comments: