Thursday, January 16, 2014

One person’s meat is another person’s poison

939: 

Attitude change can’t come soon enough for vegans.  We wait impatiently for others to feel some compassion for ‘food animals’.  For animal-eaters of course,  vegans and our ideas can’t disappear fast enough.  To them, we are a royal pain in the arse.
For us though,  we want a chance to say something,  not to lecture but to talk about another type of cuisine.  Whereas,  for traditionalists,  they want to talk about their own ‘latest cuisine’.  Both of us want to talk about our favourite foods,  but in different ways.
Why is it so hard for us to discuss this particular subject?  Obviously we differ with passion!  I say everyone should recognise that animals have rights:  my opposite half says they don’t have to change if they don’t want to and that animals shouldn’t be granted any rights.  These positions might seem unmoveable,  but let’s see how we can be useful to each other;  each of us will benefit from learning why the other thinks the way they do.  Each of us can listen without having to change our own position.

Every time I do listen to the reasoning behind the opposite view,  I learn something valuable.  It doesn’t change the way I feel,  but it lets me appreciate better why other people don’t agree with me.  And I think my listening to them helps them listen to me.  It’s a two way street.

No comments: