Saturday, August 17, 2013

The water at the well

809: 

Vegans live in a world where few people take much interest in a subject which we take a very great interest in, namely the prospect of a non-violent human community. No one even asks why we’ve taken the decisions we have. So, one ‘thirsty’ enquiry is all I need to make my day. In a desert, it’s like being asked, “Can you point me in the direction of the well?”. “Can you explain what ‘vegan’ is?”
            A genuine show of interest is worth a million. But I’ve rarely heard that actual question put, because, unless someone is naive, it would be like inviting me to describe what they are not, like telling them what they don’t want to hear. In their own mind, they’d also be inviting me to big note myself.
            As vegans, we are well aware how sensible and noble vegan principle is. It’s tempting to shout about it. Perhaps this is why we’re given so few opportunities to do so, and why people avoid talking to us about this ‘animal’ subject.
            But you never know. There might be an itch, a curiosity, and for me, that would be enough to break out the champagne. But would I then, too quickly, want to get to the heart of things; if there were any sort of interest would I try to convert it into a much bigger interest than it was originally?
            Perhaps it would be like kids being sent to collect water from the well, and suddenly being confronted by a fierce giant, who steps out onto the path, sending the children running away in tears, buckets empty, screaming of a horrible bully they’d encountered.

            Vegans shouldn’t be jumping out on people. We shouldn’t be overwhelming the questioner or swamping them with too much information all at once. Perhaps we have an altogether different job. We’re merely the bucket-providers, the conduits, the keepers of principle; we should be ready for enquiries, ready to understand people’s feelings, but we should never spruik. 

No comments: