Thursday, August 1, 2013

Don’t waste your breath

793: 

I’m an advocate for animals being given rights (obviously!) but I wouldn’t necessarily tell anyone that gratuitously. This subject is as off-limits as atheism might be for those with religion, so I’m cautious about opening it up, and anyway, why do I need others to know my strong views about this? I don’t need them to approve my stand. But it’s not as easy as this. By leading a life (self-) governed by vegan principles, and that still being regarded as unusual, it’s likely I might want their approval of me as a person. So, I want them to see me as the sort of person they might admire, or at least to be thought well-of, for my being willing to talk about it, even when they don’t agree with me.
            From my point of view, I like to know how open another person is. I’m not very interested in grudging toleration or polite approval of me, especially if I know they have a closed mind on this matter of animal-use.
            Vegans need to be less interested in others’ “knowing that I’m a vegan” and more interested in their knowing that I have empathy; that I am, on all fronts, interested in how others feel. What I really, mostly want  to get across is something about me, not at first about what views I hold. I want others to know how I feel, in order to let them feel safe enough to show their feelings  too, whether or not they coincide with mine. My main interest is in strong views, whether they be similar or opposite views. With strong views we at least avoid indifference. I’d rather know what others are feeling, whether hostility or affection, than not know.
            If you meet an open soul on your travels, ‘this subject’ might come up. It might be one of many things you talk about. I can tell a lot about a person who is willing to talk about these matters, especially when they already know where I stand on them. If they know that I know where they stand, and are still willing to talk, I respect that.

            If I meet a person who is adamantly closed-off on this subject then I can pick that up almost straight away, and I know that talking about it with them would be like pushing rocks up hill - the more talking I do, the more antagonism will be shown by them and, for my part, that would amount to so much wasted breath.

No comments: