Sunday, June 23, 2013

Growing up in the shadow of an abattoir

757:

The blasé omnivore passes the abattoir and remains un-shocked. Why? Perhaps because, in the weed patch of violence in which we all live, it’s difficult to separate problem weeds from relatively harmless weeds – the ‘holocausting’ of animals is not yet seen as a problem.
With all the violence going on about us, why don’t we deem this particular violence significant?
Well firstly, unlike meat ads on TV, it isn’t exactly ‘in our face’ everyday. And even if it does get a mention in the media one day, it’s easy to forget it the next.
Whenever violence against farm animals is shown, it’s thrust at the public too confrontingly. It produces fear and revulsion, but it doesn’t inspire me or shift my perception substantially enough to impel me to make a personal change to my personal habits. Confronting fails for most people.
When the Animal Rights message ever does get through, it is accompanied by a feeling of profound discomfort and a need to disassociate with the self-righteous and often angry vegan who’s speaking.
They see (in me, for instance) a confronting type of person with whom they have difficulty in identifying. I’m a type. A type they don’t much want to be like. Perhaps in the past, there is a memory of meeting someone who had said things and become pushy about it, and that made them feel uncomfortable.
So it behoves me to look at me.
In this context I’ve met a lot of angry evangelicals and I’ve never liked them. When I’m spruiking ‘vegan’, it’s the ‘evangelical in me’ I also don’t like. I don’t like me when I’m angry or spitting chips. Presumably it’s ugly for others to see me like this - the vegan doing his stuff.
By being so confrontational we make it easy for people to dislike us? Concealed and, deep down, I think omnivores really do loathe us and all we stand for, so I think we have to work on being liked. I do it by seeming a little weirder than I want to be, if only to appear less of a threat or less unattractive.
It could be true to say that, on this touchy subject of food and animal issues, public sensitivity is blunt. To some extent your ordinary Joe and Jo would not be able to admit the extent of their addiction to yummy animal-stuff.
Joe and Jo are not seriously aware of food attachments. It only arises when they have a dicky stomach or put on a bit of weight. Body changes are so imperceptible over the years. We hardly notice what’s happening. Even if we do want to be healthier we can’t identify with ‘health-nutter-dom’. So, ‘eat as you’ve always eaten’ sits well with their consciousness concerning food. It’s very possible we all act dumb when we purposely avoid certain difficult information, when we don’t want to put two and two together. Most of us don’t think about what happens to animals when they are turned into food. Therefore, unless we encounter a horrible vegan who wants to make us think, then the animal issue will remain a non issue.
And if ignorance is bliss then it’s best not to find out too much about modern animal husbandry. That’s made easy for us to some extent, since the most blood curdling details are always kept secret. They don’t build abattoirs near where most of us live, and usually the animal farms are well away from town, and what happens, happens behind closed and padlocked doors anyway. The ‘dark side’ is well hidden.
We all see what’s happening in our world through TV. Into the bright lights of TV comes the attractive side of the animal story. We see it every day. We see it as yummy food, advertised by experts in the trade.
TV today is made up of ten minutes of programme followed by five minutes of advertising. Billions of humans simultaneously scream when their programme shuts down and soap powder appears on the screen. Most of us are confronted and insulted by ads, and yet we are sometimes attracted by the lovely-looking people who promote products. And they’re using lovely-looking products. We think, “If such lovely people say the product is okay, that’s surely good enough for me since I want to be part of this person’s good-looking world”.
We fool ourselves to suit ourselves. “I get one main thing from the ad. I accept that the information is more or less true ... because it is being importantly broadcast nationwide. For me that spells success. Cool. The product is likely to be safe and almost certainly satisfying, even efficacious” .

We’re easily swayed. We buy what others buy. 

No comments: