Friday, July 13, 2012

If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen?


74:

Becoming vegan is like buying a beautifully engineered car with its engine ready but still cold. It needs a kick start. It needs more than the fuel of fearlessness - it needs a confidence kick-start to overcome inertia. Going vegan is like falling in love and then learning how to live together. One can grasp the big idea well enough, but how to get the brain around it, to spark the great engine into life and keep it running?
            We’re all just humans with frailties and fears, so when we ‘go vegan’ we must try to get energy wherever we can find it. I had to talk about it, even boast about it, anything to make it work for me. I squeezed it too hard so that I wouldn’t let my good idea lose momentum. I knew this idea deserved my best shot but it wasn’t obvious. My most difficult problem wasn’t about denying myself certain foods, it was people’s opinions of me and my own attitude towards them that caused the initial trouble for me, especially their reluctance to discuss the subject with me.
            For all vegans, young or old, living within the conventional world, which is so reliant on animals, we have to learn to live in some sort of peace, with that. For us it’s psychologically ‘hot’ in this ‘kitchen’, but on no account can we ever afford to ‘get out the kitchen’.

No comments: