Friday, June 29, 2012

The vegan facilitator

513:



I want to know how I’m seen by others and I want to know, from me, if others are seen by me in a non-judgemental way. If a vegan is to be a role model they must set pretty high standards. It’s because we’re setting the example (over food and clothing) and because we’re the ones wanting to initiate debate, then it’s entirely down to us to take intelligent initiatives.

First-up I know for myself I have to get over the superiority thing - I mustn’t, even for one instant, consider myself better than anyone else. If I do, it shows.

Life is not a competition, I’m sure of that. I’m a vegan, that’s all. Big deal. In many ways each of us shines and we all have lists of embarrassing faults. Our virtues and faults roughly match anyone else’s. When all’s said and done (and when all the brownie points have been added up) none of us can afford to feel ‘above’ anyone else.

Even with the best arguments in the world (and of course vegans have the Rolls Royce of all arguments!) we shouldn’t flaunt any advantage. Shouldn’t it all be an egalitarian business, not being competitive, life not having to be ME versus YOU.

I certainly know everything is not about ‘me’. Nor about me persuading you or provoking fights. For my part I’d only ever want to try to encourage you to crank up your brain cells. I might even like to touch your heart. Everything is really about you. My concern for you is confined to a wish that you begin to take ‘animal-issues’ seriously. I personally only want to facilitate discussion not to convert.



No comments: