Saturday, June 2, 2012

Don’t carpet bomb the opposition

498: Keep driving, keep talking, but try not to knock down the pedestrians. Try to avoid hitting people with all the facts, all at once. My ‘approach’ on Animal Rights is to be surprisingly sparing with my words. I don’t want to become a ‘dangerous vegan’, and I do want to discourage the ‘fight or flight’ response. I’m not into judging values, when talking Animal Rights with omnivores. I try to say less to say more - the smaller the seed of truth, the less confronting it feels to those I want it considered by. I’d like to be able to give them something to chew on when they get home. On this very serious subject I’d like to leave them with the germ of an idea, something easy to remember. When I want to communicate the essence of this subject, what you can do if you change your attitude to animal use, you’ll want to know what you can do about it. You might consider going vegetarian or vegan, or perhaps you’ll want to learn more about food, but ideally NOT to be overwhelmed by the implication of your change of attitude. Boycotting everything animal-based - you might need to go slow. The wrongness of ‘using animals’ may be discussed but free-range farming and humane killing are non-starters if only because they seem to reduce the suffering of animals but not eliminate it. Total boycott is at first too hard to hold to and it’s likely you’ll want to drop the whole thing. A gradual reduction leading towards total boycott helps the transition into first principles of non-use under any circumstance.

No comments: